Swan River, MB. – The Swan Valley Stampeders returned to the win column Saturday night, defeating the Winkler Flyers 4-3 in overtime.
The Stampeders offence was led by Collin Jennings (3G), Noah Wilson (1G) while Kobe Grant stopped 29/32 shots he faced, earning his 20th win of the year.
The Stampeders had a better first period Saturday night, but once again found themselves behind the 8-ball. Trent Penner collected his 27th of the season, scoring at 17:01 and giving his team a 1-0 lead after the first period.
Swan Valley found their stride and started to gallop in the second period. Collin Jennings tied the game, scoring his 10th of the season low blocker side on Malachi Klassen at 17:53.
Trent Sambrook gave the Flyers the lead, 30 seconds into the third period beating Grant for his 10th of the season. Collin Jennings added his second of the night, sending a wrist shot on net, scoring on the power play three minutes later. Dalton Andrew answered back for Winkler, picking up his 19th of the season, scoring bar down on the power play at 12:12. Noah Wilson was Johnny on the spot, going roof at 19:27, tying the game 3-3 and sending this one to overtime.
It took 41 seconds to find an overtime hero Saturday night. Colling Jennings gathered up a loose puck in his own end, skated up the ice and snapped one low glove, completing his first ever hat-trick, and gaining the extra point in front of an amazing crowd.
Final Shots on Goal
Winkler – 32
Swan Valley – 38
- Collin Jennings scored first ever Junior A hat-trick
- Kobe Grant stopped 29/32 shots he faced for his 20th win of the year.
The Stampeders will have a couple of days to get ready for their Highway 10 rivals, the Dauphin Kings Wednesday, Mar. 1 at 12:30pm (our first ever student game). The game is open to the general public and you can sit in Section E for the game.
Tickets can be purchased online at stampedershockey.com, through our app or at the door.
Upcoming home games to note
- Wednesday Mar. 1 – 12:30pm vs Dauphin – Kids game (General public will have their own section – E for the game).
- Wednesday Mar. 8 – 7:00pm vs Neepawa – Pizza Place game night
- Friday Mar. 10 – 7:00pm vs Steinbach – Original 16 game night
- Saturday Mar. 11 – 7:00pm vs Niverville – Prairie Valley Airspray game night
- Friday Mar. 17 – 7:00pm vs Virden – MGEU game night