The Swan Valley Stampeders will be welcoming several new players to the organization at the upcoming Bantam draft in Winnipeg.
The draft will see all 11 MJHL teams selecting 2004 born players from across Manitoba. The draft will consist of 6 rounds with the Stampeders selecting 10th overall.
“Our entire organization is looking forward to the draft this year in Winnipeg,” said Head Coach and General Manager Geoff Grimwood. “Our scouting staff, Director of Player Personnel & Assistant Coach Darren Webster, as well as Director of Scouting Mitch Kirkup have done an incredible job preparing. We want our roster to be full of home grown Manitoba players and the draft kicks off that process.”
The organization has drafted several key players in the past:
- Defencemen Gavin Froese from Grunthal, MB, was selected 15th overall in the 2010 Batman draft.
- Forward Colin Baudry from La Broquerie, MB, was drafted in the 1st round, 9th overall in 2009.
- Defenceman Landon Peel from Virden, MB, was selected in the 3rd round, 31st overall in 2009.
- Power forward Brian Harris from Wawanesa, MB, was selected in the 2nd round, 16th overall in 2014 bantam draft.
- Skilled forward Matt Osadick from Grande Point, MB, was drafted in the 3rd round, 28th overall in the 2015 bantam draft.
“Our staff has worked extremely hard this past winter,” said Director of Player Personnel Darren Webster. “We look forward to adding some excellent prospects that will hopefully wear a Stampeder jersey and play in the MJHL one day.”
The MJHL has once again partnered with Hockey Tech by utilizing the RinkNet Live Draft Centre tool to operate the draft. As players are selected the system will automatically update for online followers to stay up to date.
RinkNet will maintain a Draft Centre website so that media, fans, and scouts can reference the results at any time.
Be sure to follow all Stampeder social media for extensive coverage of this years MJHL Bantam Draft, Sunday June 9th at 9 am.