Steinbach , MB. – The Swan Valley Stampeders point streak was snapped Sunday night in Steinbach, losing 5-3 to the Pistons at T.G. Smith Centre.
The Stampeders offence was led by Collin Jennings (1G, 1A), Trey Sauder and Warren Marcotte each collected goal while Kobe Grant stopped 33/38 shots he faced in the loss.
The Stampeders had a really tough time staying out of the penalty box in the first period, giving the Pistons, who only dressed 17 players, a great opportunity to put their number one ranked power play to work.
Ian Amsbough opened the scoring at the 11:54 mark of the opening frame, scoring his 15th of the season. Dawson Milliken deflected one past Grant just over three minutes later, scoring his ninth of the year on the power play.
Leo Chambers added another power play marker at the 10:26 mark of the second period, giving his team a 3-0 lead. Langley Kruggel collected his sixth of the season three and a half minutes later to give the home team a commanding 4-0 lead. Trey Sauder was able to break through, scoring his 18th of the season at 17:04 and gave the Stampeders a bit of life.
Collin Jennings has been red hot as of late, continued his scoring ways Sunday night, collecting his eighth of the year 2:48 into the third period. Hunter Degelman responded with his fifth of the campaign, giving the home team a 5-2 lead. Warren Marcotte was able to beat Dominik Wasik at the 19:22 mark of the third, scoring his seventh of the season on the power play but it wasn’t enough and the Stampeders two game win streak game to an end.
Final Shots on Goal
Stampeders – 37
Pistons – 38
- The Stampeders sit with 51 points and are in a three way tie for first place in the MGEU West Division.
- Collin Jennings now has two goals and four assists in his last three games played.
- Stampeder players Justin Keck, Warren Marcotte, Adam Rajsigl, Steven Arp, Kobe Grant, Athletic Therapist Kate Wiens and Head Coach and General Manager Barry Wolff will all take part in the MJHL/SJHL Showcase January 31-Febraury 1 in Winnipeg.
The Stampeder players and staff who have been selected for the MJHL/SJHL Showcase will stay behind and attend the Showcase Tuesday Jan. 31 – Wednesday Feb. 1. The remaining members of the team will travel home. The next action for the Stampeders will be our Hockey is for Everyone game night Friday, Feb. 10 against Waywayseecappo.
Upcoming home games to note
- Friday, Feb. 10 – Hockey is for Everyone (special game night jerseys will be worn).
- Wednesday, Feb. 15 – RBC game night.
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 – ACE Real Estate game night.