Swan River, MB. – The Swan Valley Stampeders skated to a 5-3 win Saturday night against Niverville, taking the first of two games on their recent road trip.
The Stampeders offence was led by Tyler Park (1G, 3A), Jakob Jones (2G, 1A), Justin Keck and Steven Arp each collected a goal while Loic Mainguy-Crepault stopped 22/25 shots he faced for his eighth win of the season.
The Stampeders came out runnin’ wild and took the play to the Nighthawks, but it was Niverville who opened the scoring just past the midway point of the first period. Gavin Gunderson collected his 11th of the season beating Mainguy-Crepault at 11:22 of the first period. Jakob Jones responded for the Stampeders, showing some unreal patience and waiting for a lane to clear, before he snapped home his 22nd of the year.
Justin Keck added his team leading 25th goal of the season, 1:26 into the second period, pushing his point streak to eight straight games. Steven Arp joined the party just over seven minutes later, scoring a power play marker for his ninth of the season. Jones collected his second of the game, scoring at 18:42 of the middle frame, giving his team a 4-1 lead heading into the dressing room after 40 minutes of play.
Gavin Gunderson scored his second of the game at 13:54 of the third period making things interesting down the stretch. Captain Tyler Park wired one off the glass and down the ice into an empty net with 1:53 left in the game. Isaac Rentmeester added his ninth of the year with 56 seconds left but it wasn’t enough as the Stampeders skated to a 5-3 win Saturday night in Niverville.
Final Shots on Goal
Swan Valley – 38
Niverville – 25
- Justin Keck extends his point streak to eight games.
- Stampeders push win streak to two games.
- Loic Mainguy-Crepault stopped 22/25 shots he faced for his eighth win of the season.
The Stampeders will have a quick turn-around as they will face the Winkler Flyers Sunday afternoon at 3:00 p.m..
Catch all the action live on hockeytv.com and stay up-to-date on all Stampeders social media platforms.
Upcoming home games to note
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 – ACE Real Estate game night.
- The Swan Valley Stampeders will be wearing their Hockey is for Everyone jerseys one last time Wednesday Feb. 22 at home against the OCN Blizzard. The jerseys will then be auctioned off online. Stay tuned for further details on how you can place your bids. #HIFE #StampederHockey
- Friday, Feb. 24 – Dufresne game night.
- Saturday, Feb. 25 – Billet Appreciation night. Taylor School Choir performing the national anthem.
- Wednesday Mar. 1 – 12:30pm vs Dauphin – Kids game